You are the first domino
We all know what “attitude” is. However, for astronauts, “attitude” means something very specific. “Attitude” refers to orientation: which direction is the spacecraft pointing relative to the Sun, the Earth and possibly other spacecraft? If you lose your “attitude” in space, your spacecraft can start to tumble and spin, disorientate everybody on board and move away from its course.
Think of the Soyuz spacecraft. It’s small. It only offers space for 3 persons. As you know, the Soyuz spacecraft is used to transport astronauts to and from the International Space Station. So when the astronauts are on their way to the ISS, they use every available source to monitor and to adjust their “attitude” if necessary. They never want to lose attitude – they always want to know their exact position relative to the Sun, the Earth and the International Space Station. So in space, maintaining attitude is fundamental to success. And I believe that something similar is true on Earth.
In times of uncertainty, change and ambiguity, there are a lot of variables that are out of your control. But there is one thing that you can control: your attitude during the journey. A positive attitude can keep you and your team in the right direction.
I deeply believe that positivism is a strategy. It’s a choice you make. Positivism all starts with you. Would you like to have better life? It starts with you. Would you like to have a better team spirit? It starts with you. Would you like to have more time for the important things in life? It starts with you. Whatever you want to change, whatever you want to improve, whatever you want to move forward: you are the first domino. It all starts with you.
Latest articles by Filip
- The power of reversible decisions
- Leaders should be genius spotters
- Unintended consequences
- Prepare for pre-flight quarantine
- Bias for action
- Dare to differ
- Be like bamboo
- Uncovering new forms of value
- The case for courage
- The Backwards Law
- Inspiring people with obvious insights
- You are the first domino
- Drive your brain in reverse
- Reidentify your identity
- Define your turn-around time
- Be like water
- Audit your social circle
- What problem are you trying to solve?
- The speed of Genghis Khan
- Celebrate wrong decisions
- Our obligation to imagine
- The difference between amateurs and professionals
- Corporate athletes believe in periodization
- Pioneering is lethal
- What we can learn from the mission to Pluto
- Build a starfish organisation
- Manson’s Law of Avoidance
- Think probabilistically
- Enlightening questions
- Live on death ground
- Build margins everywhere
- The new storytelling
- Be fascinating
- Forget the brand, think categories
- Time management versus time alignment
- Creating a memory of the future
- Spotting talent that whispers
- Problem-solving for the Apollo 11 mission
- Innovative thinking by using adjectives
- Doing right and doing good is not the same
- What you aim at determines what you see
- How survivor bias distorts reality
- Act like a victorious lobster
- Only the paranoid survive
- Different is better than better
- How to avoid narrow-framed decision taking?
- A message to today’s young generation
- What can companies learn from cities?
- Are you suffering from the Concorde Syndrome?
- The backward way of addressing a performance problem
- Apply the 80/20 rule in multiple ways
- Act on lead measures to reach your goal
- Are you an architect of moments that matter?
- The power of working with constraints
- Are there enough Tarahumaras in your team?
- Apply the Pareto Principle to leadership
- Create a dragonfly vision